
Mr. Hawkes owns a company that specializes in this kind of craft.
Such boats have been around for a while, but by all accounts, this version is very simple to operate and highly maneuverable - and great-looking. However, I'd give my eye teeth to see one in really good steampunk design. (Here's a description of steampunk, and here's one of my favorite websites about steampunk craft.)
I suppose my admiration for the boat is a vestige of my years in the U.S. Naval Submarine Force. I wish all of you could spend a week or so at sea aboard a sub. They are truly remarkable specimens of science and engineering. And the crew members are pretty interesting, too. I know I was (and still am - ask anyone who knows me.)
$350,000 for the low-end model, eh? I guess I'll just hang onto my snorkel mask.
ReplyDeleteThe steampunk sites are fascinating. I'd never even heard the term before. Before I clicked on the links, I assumed "steampunk" was some sort of new polymer material or something you use in your mad scientist's lab. I mean workshop.
The steampunk site references to H.G Wells reminded me of a movie version of "The Time Machine" I saw several years ago. The evil Morelocks had blue eyes, and the top badguy (played by Jeremy Irons) was the ultimate blue-eyed devil. Albino white with cobalt blue eyes. Oh, and the good race of above-ground-dwelling humans were all a mongrelized, mocha-colored bunch. Very noble, very peaceful, unlike the blue-eyed ones. Just like real life.
Sorry for the tangent. Good stuff you're posting here, Winston!