. . .William Shakespeare's The Comedy of Errors, Act 1.
Remember - just one act per week. It's easy.
Enjoy!
Monday, April 27, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Practicing the 6 W's of the European-American Man: Working, Writing, Wife, White People, Weapons, and Worship. (With a hearty shout-out to Whiskey!)
Is this the first reading? Wait! My book hasn't arrived yet. Arggh.
ReplyDeleteRusty,
ReplyDeleteDon't worry. Here's a link to an etext until your copy arrives (although I'm a little disappointed that you don't aready have in your home a copy of Shakespeare's complete works!).
http://www.enotes.com/comedy-errors-text/
I'll post a mid-week summary tomorrow. How the discussion goes - or even IF there's a discussion - waits to be seen. My goal is simply to get White people reading Shakespeare.
(blushes) I'm embarrased, too. But Greek, Latin, and history books have occupied my attention for the last few years. My children and I each have a copy of Charles and Mary Lamb's "Tales from Shakespeare" which we love. I should get half credit for that, eh what?
ReplyDeletePity me, Magister. Only when we began homeschooling about 6 years ago (in the Classical style) did I become aware that we had absolutely no literature in the house at all -- none!; only computer reference manuals and self-help and money-making throw-aways. Since then I've been working hard to find and procure the best books in the best printings from the best authors. Homer, Aeschylis, Xenophon, Cicero, Livy, Virgil, et cetera, came first. Shakespeare's turn came up only recently.
Last week, before I found your site, I had ordered an entire set of individually bound volumes of Shakespeare for my father-in-law, and intended to research the best "complete works" for myself and family later this year. His smart little set -- all 27 lbs. of it -- should be here soon.
Do you have a "complete works" recommendation for me? The one I had my eye on is dinged by Amazon reviewers for a poor binding and no notes. And I understand Bevington's recent editions have incorporated all manner of faminist and multicultinonsense. I'll limp along with online texts for now.
Thanks for the posting.
Hey, Rusty.
ReplyDeleteI've been casually looking for an online Shakespeare dictionary or lexicon to which I could direct folks. The language is a major obstacle for most folks would want to read Shakespeare, but have no guidance about archaic words and expression. In our current read, for example, the word "jars" is used to describe the conflicts between Ephesus and Syracuse. Most folks wouldn't know that.
I'm using Bevington's fourth edition; it's one I kept from college days. I don't see a lot of feminist garbage in it, but that might be because I've learned to ignore it. I think most of what I post while we read will be my hand-written notes in the book. I'll keep my eyes open for a well-noted volume, and if I see one, I'll alert you to it. If all else fails, then maybe I'll scan or transcribe and post Bevington's notes.
The Fourth Edition is, I'm told, OK, but editions five and six (the current edition) are horrible. I'll keep looking, thanks. And I think I remember seeing a lexicon for Shakespeare while browsing Amazon which might come in handy.
ReplyDelete