Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Compost, Part 2

Well, after a couple o' days, the compost didn't heat up as I had hoped, which means one thing - my little microorganistic buddies are waning from hunger. I had to find them some food! That's no problem. I just mowed the lawn, raked up some of the grass clippings, and mixed it in. The nice lady made me some lunch, and we chatted for a while. About an hour and a half later, I read the tale of the temperature:

123° F! My microscopic friends were partying away, and I could hear them thanking me for bringing the nitrogenous hors d' oeuvres. I'll check it again, maybe tomorrow, and give the batch a turn to keep it nice and aerated.

For sister Laurel's compostic edification, I brought out my low-tech, low-co$t compost tumbler and started another batch:

You might not be able to see the dozens of holes I drilled into the thing, but they're there. The bungee cords are 24" long - long enough to secure the lid, but short enough that putting them on isn't difficult. Here's how to operate the tumbler:

1) Set the tumbler on its side, and place one of your feet upon the tumbler, see Figure 1:
Figure 1 - Set the tumbler on its side, postion your foot
2) Push the tumbler with your foot to make it roll, see Figure 2:
Figure 2 - Roll the tumbler
3) Repeat steps 1 and 2 until you're confident the contents are well-mixed.

4) Either leave the tumbler on its side, or return it to its upright position.

5) Enjoy!

Pretty dog-gone sweet, eh! An inexpensive, varmint-proof, and effective homemade compost tumbler. You can make one, too!

7 comments:

  1. Winston, on the average, how long does it take for your tumbler to make a finished batch of compost, from raw start to humussy finish? I'm weighing my options, and thinking I may build a tumbler to compliment my regular outdoor compost pile.

    Again, thanks for the great info and especially the photos. Very helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Wheeler.

    If you start a batch using the methods I've shown, with proper maintenance, one should have good compost in 14 to 21 days, give or take. I know some folks who start a batch and "keep it going" by continually adding material until the container is completely full. Those batches require a couple of weeks after the last addition is made. I prefer to make one big batch at a time, or several separate big batches, feed it to the garden, and then start another.

    By the way, the best gauge for knowing if a batch is ready is when the temperature drops to ambient temp, signifying that microbial activity has stopped.

    Finally, if you want the batch to REALLY heat up, then sprinkle some alfalfa meal into the mix. Compost microbes LUV that stuff. I've had alfalfa'd batches going that got so hot, I couldn't keep my hand in it for more than a few seconds - amazing.

    I'd like to know what sort of tumbler you're looking to build. If you need plans, then let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. Great idea!

    Knowing my klutz tendencies, though, I wonder if I would roll it once, then watch it happily tumbling away down the hill, compost aerated as all get out...

    You have to remember, I'm the kid who put a pitchfork through her toe while helping her mama break ground for the garden one year...admittedly that was a century or so ago, however...

    I am learning, though. Keep me edumacated...

    Thanks,
    Laurel

    ReplyDelete
  4. Winston, I'm thinking I'll build one just like what you've illustrated here. I need to check out the plastic garbage cans so I can find one with a proper "lip" to provide purchase for the bungee cords. Again, thank you for the good info...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Winston, I'm wondering what the ratio of plant material to kitchen scraps should be. Any thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. John,

    I initially use equal parts of horse manure, detritus, and grass clippings. I then add kitchen scraps as they become available.

    I know some folks who save kitchen scraps until they have a goodly quantity. They then start a batch with equal amounts of manure, detritus, and the scrapage.

    I guess the watch-word in all this is "equal parts."

    Something else that really helps a compost batch is alfalfa meal. Just mix in several large handfuls. The little microorganisms LUV that stuff. My only objection to using alfalfa meal is it costs money, though not much. I just prefer to do things on the cheap, as long as doing so results in a quality product.

    My own batches are coming along beautifully. They still heat up when I throw in some grass clippings. There'll eventually come a time when they won't heat up no matter how much clippings I put in or how often I turn them. When they stop heating up, that means they're ready for the garden.

    ReplyDelete